How often should my air conditioner be serviced?
Manufacturers recommend servicing your air conditioner a minimum of 2 times a year to ensure peak performance and efficiency.
When should I repair or replace an air conditioner?
This is not an easy question to answer; here are some things to consider when making your decision:
- The age and condition of the equipment. If it’s older than 10 years, it is most likely not very efficient anymore.
- Is your current system keeping you comfortable when summer arrives?
- How much will the repair cost? How many more repairs will you need in the future? Is keeping your older system running worth the time and money? In Florida, the life span of an air conditioner is 10-12 years. After that time period passes, the efficiency is so low that it can actually cost you more in your monthly electric bill than simply purchasing a new efficient unit.
How often should I change my filter?
In general, Shoreline Air Conditioning recommends inspecting your filter(s) regularly and replacing your standard or washable filters monthly. Pleated filters are rated for 90 days but that does not mean they will last that long. This simple step can reduce the likelihood of a system breakdown.
Can I control my cooling cost?
Yes, there are several things you can do to reduce monthly expenses related to air conditioning.
- Change your filter(s) regularly. An unclean filter makes your system work harder.
- Use a programmable thermostat and set it between 78-80 degrees when you are not home. For example, setting your house thermostat from 73 to 76 degrees can save you as much as 15% on your monthly electricity costs.
- Keeping the fan set to “Auto” can also save up to $25 per month.
What can I check if my air conditioner is not working?
- Check for low batteries in the thermostat
- Check all breakers to make sure they are not tripped and set to the on position
- Check for a dirty filter
- Make note of any noises or smells
Is a bigger air conditioning unit better?
No. Air conditioners are sized to be a perfect match for your home. Selecting too large of a unit would cause your system to short cycle. Air conditioners are designed to run for certain amounts of time so that they can remove the humidity for space.
What are the advantages of a programmable thermostat?
Programmable thermostats are digital, more precise, and effective than mercury thermostats. Plus, they allow you to automatically regulate the temperature in your house at various points of the day without ever moving the thermostat! Now with WiFi thermostats, you can control the temperature in your house from your phone or computer.
Why do my lights dim when my air conditioner comes on?
If your lights are dimming when your air conditioning system comes on, it can be a sign of a weak compressor, the capacitor going out, or your unit may be in need of a start capacitor to help your compressor to start.